ICRI is an informal partnership between Nations and organisations which strives to preserve coral reefs and related ecosystems around the world. International Year of the Reef (IYOR) was first declared in 1997, and later in 2008, in response to the increasing threats on coral reefs and associated ecosystems, such as mangroves and seagrasses around the world.
The ICRI has declared 2018 as the third IYOR, and encourages partners to:
- Strengthen awareness globally about the value of, and threats to, coral reefs and associated ecosystems;
- Promote partnerships between governments, the private sector, academia and civil
- society on the management of coral reefs;
- Identify and implement effective management strategies for conservation, increased
- resiliency and sustainable use of these ecosystems and promoting best practices; and
- Share information on best practices in relation to sustainable coral reef management.